The Malaysian Red Crescent (MRC) has its beginnings in 1948 as branches of the British Red Cross Society in Sabah and Sarawak (then British North Borneo). In the 1950s the British Red Cross Society further established branches in the other parts of Malaysia starting in Penang in 1950, and later in the other states.
Upon Malaya's independence in 1957, the branches in Peninsular Malaysia were organised as the Federation of Malaya Red Cross Society and were later statutorily incorporated by the Federation of Malaya Red Cross Society (Incorporation) Act, 1962. MRCS received official recognition as an independent National Society from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on 4th July 1963 and accordingly was admitted as a member of the International League of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on 24th August 1963.
The Movement is Madeup of nearly 100million members,volunteers and supporters in 189 National Societies. it has three main Components:
- 1) The International Commitee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
- 2) The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Society (IFRC).
- 3) 189 Member Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
Our team of Researchers can obtain traces of the society starting in Klang as far back as 1951.MRC Chapter Klang was started by a small group of volunteers forming the Voluntry Aid Detachment 10 (VAD10).Today MRC Chapter Klang has grown and expanded from a small group of volunteer to a full-fledged chapter consisting of solid membership base of 10,000 volunteers from VAD'S, Youth & Link Students.From 50's to the Early 1970's,not many records or data could be gathered.it will forever remain a mystery of years. The starting point of progress and development of MRC Chapter Klang started in 1972 better known as "GOLDEN ERA".The Past and Present Leaders of MRC(Chapter Klang) known,
1) Mr.Tan Kok Seng(1960's).
2) Dato' P.Alagendra (1970's).
3) Mr.Mat Ripen bin Mat Ela (1980's-1998).
4) Tan Sri Dato Dr.Lau Ban Tin (1998-2010)
5) Datuk Song Kee Chai (2010-Present) .
1) Mr.A.Ramanadhan (1972-1978).
2) Mr.C.Venukopalan (1978-1998).
3) Mr.M.Somasundtharam (1998-2010).
4) Mr.Raja Ramalingam (2010-2011).
5) Mr.Khoo Chee Seng (2011-Present).